Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Voyeurism as Art

Photographer Yasmine Chatila has a show on currently called "Stolen Moments" -- photos she took through people's windows here in New York. In some cases, as with the kitchen lovers below, she took a whole series and made a slide show out of it.




I don't put the blinds down in my living room, so I guess it's my fault if someone is surreptitiously taking photos of me. But I still find this show totally creepy, it seems to break an unwritten code (if not a law). Thoughts?

thanks Gothamist

5 comments:

Clorivak said...

eeek...oh god, that would be horrifying. makes for cool photos though, as long as it's not me..egad.

borellana said...

If your blinds are up when you do this:
1. You want people to see
2. You don't care if people see

kdub said...

borellana, I agree with you about the couple doing it in the kitchen with the lights on. But a lot of the other ones look like either they didn't realize anyone could see them or it was a spontaneous moment that happened -- like in the last one I posted, one guy could have just asked the other to marry him. You wouldn't go close the blind first before reacting.

K @ Blog Goggles said...

If they were obscene, that'd be one thing. But these are pretty decent. I'm not too offended.

wool and misc said...

i love this. i can't help but look into lit windows.

love,
creeper